Pages

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Fabergé Egg Nog

Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year for two reasons, the first being Wendy and Doug Smith's homemade English toffee, a bag of which I would request for my last meal if I was able to plan for it.

The second reason is the wide availability of egg nog in every grocery store. I know, I know, the homemade stuff is soooo much better, but when I looked up the recipe I realized it was way easier for my purposes to just buy a quart and call it a day. And by "my purposes" I am referring to a concoction that I drink from Thanksgiving through the middle of January, or as long as I can get my hands on egg nog. It's a White Russian (vodka, Kahlua and cream) with egg nog instead of cream, and I can't get enough of 'em.

Anson and I had been throwing around names for it because "White Russian with Eggnog Instead of Cream" is a little clunky. Our friend, John, came up with the perfect name the other night: "Fabergé Egg Nog." It was a perfect description of this drink, named after bejeweled eggs made for royalty: luxurious, decadent and Russian in it's provenance.

It's not too late for you to give it a try, New Year's Eve would be a perfect night in my opinion. Or, for that matter, any night the egg nog is still flowing would also be perfect.  Enjoy it while you can!
Fabergé Egg Nog
1 1/2 oz  vodka
3/4 oz     Kahlua
6 oz        Egg Nog (regular or light)

Fill a rocks glass with ice. Pour vodka and Kahlua over ice. Top with egg nog. Grate a little fresh nutmeg over the top if you want to pass it off as your own. Stir and enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. OMG, that sounds really, really good. I've never thought to put Kahlua in eggnog. The Dude would be proud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil makes a heck of an ice cream version of this drink too. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!! We haven't had nog all season... would it be too terrible to start now?!

    [K]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casey--the mountain range would also be a great name! Good thinking!

    Steph--the eggnog abides.

    Kim--the sooner the better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea Sarah. Love Black Russians, not so keen on White because of the cream. This sounds like a really fun festive variant. You made them look so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dad and I will try this yummy sounding drink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just made a version of this. Searched the net to see if it existed or if we needed to come with our own name. This caught my eye, as I live year round at the beach (albeit six months have snow). Faberge Eggnog it is then!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Let us know what you are thinking about!