Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Molasses Cookie Cravings

A molasses cookie is seducing me.  A chewy dark molasses cookie has been calling to me for some time now. It's siren song so strong that I, as someone who bakes only in the Duncan Hines sense of the word, found myself perusing molasses cookie recipes on the interwebs one day. I believe it's important to follow these urges because you never know what you might find, and also because you can waste a lot of time that could be less well spent doing things such as cleaning the house or exercising.
So I came across a blog called Framed Cooks by a really nice lady and wonderful photographer named Kate. There she had posted her grandmother's recipe for molasses cookies, along with photos that told me these were just the cookies I had been dreaming about.  Better yet, there were relatively few ingredients and I had them all on hand. It seemed like fate was leading me to the coveted cookies; we were supposed to be together.
In relatively short time I had them all baked up and cooled. They were perfectly round, thin and filled the house with the most seductive scent of cinnamon, clove and earthy ginger.  I ate three right away just to make sure they were good. I think we'll be together for a long time.
Grandma's Molasses Cookies
Courtesy of Kate Morgan Jackson (whose grandmother attributes them to Fanny Farmer)

3/4 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon each of ground cloves, ginger and salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Extra sugar for rolling

1. Combine butter, sugar, molasses and egg in large mixing bowl
2. Combine flour, baking soda and spices in medium bowl
3. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir until well combined
4. Put in refrigerator until dough has hardened.
5. Scoop out dough (I find an ice cream scoop works well for this) and roll into 1 inch balls
6. Roll balls in sugar and place on cookie sheet, well-spaced apart
7. Press down slightly on cookie dough with the bottom of a glass or jar
8. Bake for 8-10 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Cool on rack.
In case you were wondering, the cookies are cat-approved.

8 comments:

  1. Hi,

    your cookies looks nice, could we have the proportions in grammes, please?
    I just can't measure in cup.

    Thank you

    Arnaud

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable little cookie! I loved your commentary re: cleaning house and exercising. It's amazing the lengths we will go to in order to satiate a good food craving :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Arnaud,
    I think this website should work for the conversion. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes - why waste time exersizing, you'll just have to do it again tomorrow. But cookies, they sometimes last a couple of days -- much more efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these cookies yesterday and they are AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew - I only eat cookies that are cat-approved, so I'm glad these make the cut. (Harry just chirped in agreement.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for this!! these were exactly what i've been looking for. simple, delicious, perfectly chewy yet crispy! yum!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Let us know what you are thinking about!