Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Five Star Blondies the Easy Way


Baking is not something I do very often.  I should clarify that--baking sweet things is not something I do often.  Cakes, cookies, crème brûlée--I love to eat them but you won't catch me making them from scratch very often.  I guess I just don't get the same satisfaction from mixing ingredients together and waiting until the buzzer sounds as I do from stirring, sautéing and tossing food over an open flame.  Consequently we usually don't have a lot of sweet treats in the house, and that's probably for the better since they end up becoming my breakfast, rather than the snack they were meant to be.

But sometimes I get a craving for something sweet and I've recently started making Five Star Blondies.  It's a blondie with a little personality--chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, pecans and toasted coconut. Technically, they are not really blondies as my friend Garrett explains. But for those of us who are baking impaired this is probably a really good approximation. From what I can tell, blondies are basically chocolate chip cookie dough without the white sugar, so if you don't tell anyone you used cookie mix I won't either and no one will be the wiser.

The recipe comes from Continental Mills, a food manufacturer that makes baking mixes, including the Krusteaz pancake and waffle mixes you probably have in your cupboard.  I scaled it down by using the retail size chocolate chip cookie mix instead of foodservice size basic cookie mix. So unless you've got an army to feed, go ahead and give this one a try.

Five Star Blondies
1 - 17oz package chocolate chip cookie mix
1 - stick of room temperature butter (1/4 pound)
1 - large egg
1 - handful of toasted coconut flakes
1 - handful of butterscotch chips
1 - handful of pecan pieces

Mix cookie mix with butter and egg. Add coconut, butterscotch and pecans in your desired amounts. Bake as directed.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness these look amazing! Love a good, quick, bar cookie recipe (I'm not much of a baker either). Plus - anything coconut is a YES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look very tempting - wonderfully moist and crumbly. And they're even "kinda sorta" healthy! I never knew the difference between a brownie and blondie either, so thanks for clearing that up for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look wonderful! I think Krustez makes some of the best mixes out there. I have enjoyed many of their mixes before. I have everything but the butterscotch chips. I like it when you can add a few simple ingredients to something and come up with a delicious treat. My kind of easy cooking! Beautiful picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. I haven't found a blondie recipe that I absolutely love yet, so I'm always interested in new ones.
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Let us know what you are thinking about!