Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

For the Love of Butter


I used to have a roommate who was a chef and he once told me what makes restaurant food so much better than the food you make at home: "Salt and butter."  You can't skimp on either if you want people to keep coming back and eating at your restaurant.

At home we can't all eat like that, so it's important to make it count when you do. We were lucky enough to get our hands on some really good butter at the L.A. Specialty Food Show last week.  Anson gave his neighbor some La Brea Bakery bread and in exchange he got an allotment of Organic Butter with French Sea Salt from Five Star Butter.  Yowsers, it's good.  I was skeptical at first, but found myself dipping back into it as I made dinner and remembering how gratifying good butter can be.




6 comments:

  1. You're inspiring me to make some homemade butter this week - methinks a certain husband would think that's a great Valentine's Day gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade butter??? Sounds like you need to give the rest of us a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've just inspired me to make butter and you helped revive a wonderful memory. I remember this being the first thing I ever made. It was kindergarten and I remember the whole class gathered around in he afternoon turning a carton of heavy cream into butter with our teacher -- clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read an article in Saveur from last year that had some tips on making home made butter. First was to let the cream to sit out on the counter for a few hours to let it culture before making the butter. Their method was to simply whisk the butter fats out of the way. Then you gather your solids, mold them together. From here I would normally wash the butter, to help seperate out the whey and salt it slightly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's my girl D's post on making butter with a stand mixer:
    http://www.goodfoodstories.com/2009/12/22/homemade-butter

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stumbled upon your blog today and while browsing the posts, this one caught my eye. I actually just finished making a batch of homemade butter today. I have never tried making it in a mixer, my mother taught me to put heavy cream in a mason jar and shake until a hard ball forms and is surrounded by a watery mixture. It probably took me 15 minutes of shaking that damn jar, but it was well worth it. Once the butter was formed I took it out of the jar and patted it dry with a coffee filter to remove the excess moisture. You can also take this butter and make clarified butter out of it... delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Let us know what you are thinking about!